If you’re over 30, you probably remember when Holiday Inn used the tagline: The Best Surprise is No Surprise! Well, that might be true if you’re checking into a moderately-priced hotel. But these days, one of the best ways to snag customers is to give them a sweet surprise every now and then.
One of my favorite vendors knows that I love green and always sends me a St. Patrick’s Day card. No question that she’s got my business for life!
Five Ways to Surprise Your Customer
- Provide something free—a t-shirt, book—with their first order.
- Provide a fun surprise for every referral. How about a fruit arrangement that’s delivered like flowers?
- At the end of the ordering process, let them discover that shipping is free.
- Send a fun greeting card with a discount for future purchases.
- Partner with other businesses to provide discount coupons. You give out their coupons and they give out yours.