If you’re like me, you hate conflict, especially dealing with an angry customer. But it happens. Sometimes it is really important to placate that customer because you need to maintain the revenue, others it is important to make them happy so they don’t shout negative comments about you from the rooftop. Either way, here’s a five-step process to soothe that angry customer (or anyone else for that matter!)
Five Steps to Placate an Angry Customer (or Anyone Else!)
- Start by listening. Often angry customers just need to vent. If you listen rather than arguing back they will often calm down.
- Don't interrupt. You lose all rapport whenever you interrupt. The result is an even angrier customer.
- Ask questions to clarify what is wrong and to overcome any misunderstandings you may have about their complaint.
- Show your concern. Be sure your body language and eye contact shows concern.
- Ask the magic question: "What can I do to resolve this problem?" or "What will make you happy?" Often what they request is very small and doable.