The New Year is a great time to think about first impressions. People make up their minds about things in an instant, and that first interaction they have of you stays with them for a long time. When you are able to make a positive first impression, you will be more persuasive and influential in all of your encounters with them.
Five Ways to Make a Positive First Impression
- Appearance Counts. Dress appropriately for the individual or group you are meeting. Don't overdress or underdress. If you don’t know what’s appropriate, ask.
- Greet Others with Enthusiasm. Treat everyone you meet as though they were the “honored guest” in the room.
- Use People’s Names. You can win big points by using a person’s name during your conversation with them.
- Be Interested Rather than Interesting. Don’t try to be the life of the party. Ask questions and make the conversation be about them rather than you.
- Smile. If you smile while you are talking, you become instantly likeable. Try it and see the difference it makes!